What skills and knowledge do I need to train to become a pilot?
The entry requirements for a modular course will vary, depending on which phase of flight training you have already completed. All the prerequisites for our modular courses are available on the course page, please check the relevant module for specific entry requirements.
Integrated Flight Deck Programme
If you would like to enrol on our Integrated Flight Deck Programme you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Possess at least 5 x GCSEs, to include Maths, English and Science (or equivalent), at grade 4 (C) or higher.
- Preferably 2 x A levels or equivalent
- Be aged 18 years or over
- Have a valid EASA class 1 medical certificate.*
English Language Requirements
All students are expected to have a good level of English language, writing and comprehension. Overseas students must have English language competence of Level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference Languages (CEFR) or Level 4 of the International Civil Aviation Organisation.
SKILLS TEST/pilot assessment
You do not need to complete a skills test to enrol on one of our courses. If you're not certain whether you will be able to complete your ATPL training and become an airline pilot, independent tests are available. The Honourable Company of Air Pilots offer a pilot assessment/aptitude test for those who are unsure whether they have the potential to succeed in professional flying.
The assessments are carried out at RAF Cranwell (in Lincolnshire) and are designed for those with little or no flying experience. As part of the assessment, candidates have an individual debriefing to discuss the scores achieved and what they mean. They also offer the opportunity to talk to current or former professional, pilots about a career in aviation.
Over 1400 candidates have taken these aptitude assessments which offer a very good indication of a candidate’s innate ability to become a successful pilot.
As anyone who has completed pilot training will tell you, the journey is not easy. It takes hard work and commitment to become an airline pilot but the rewards are there for those willing to invest the time and effort.
WHAT WILL I NEED TO ENROL?
When you're ready to enrol or secure your space on a course, we will need the following:
- A copy of your passport or national identity card
- A completed copy of the relevant admission pack
- Either a copy of your medical certificate, or evidence that one has been booked (this is dependant on how far in advance you book your course).
- Copy of your qualifications (e.g. GCSEs).
- Your initial payment of £14,000 (if you're enrolling on the Integrated Flight Deck Programme), or course deposit (see modular course page for details). This is with the exception of the ATPL Theory which must be paid in full when you enrol.
We have lots of interesting articles, advice and interviews with pilots on our news page. Click here to read more >>