If you are accepted onto an FTA course, you are entitled to enter and stay in the UK freely during your studies.

All European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EAA) students require a current passport, however if you are from Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal or Spain, then a national identity card is sufficient.

Click here to check whether your country is within the EU or EAA.


If your spouse and children are EU or EEA nationals they are free to join you in the UK. If not, you will need to apply for an EEA family permit.

Find out more and apply for an EEA family permit.

Residence permit

Depending on your personal situation, you may also want to apply for a residence permit.

A residence permit is not compulsory but it is advisable and will be particularly useful if you intend to stay in the UK to work after your studies.

It will also assist if you are married someone from outside of Europe. If you hold a residence permit it may make it easier for your partner and your children to apply for a family permit.

Find out more about residence permit applications.

Working in the UK

All nationals of EU member states (prior to 1 May 2004), as well as nationals from Cyprus and Malta, are free to work in the UK without restriction. Other EEA nationals may need to apply for an EEA registration certificate within a month of starting work.

For more general information and guidelines on studying in the UK, visit UK CISA. 

If you have a question about training at FTA as an EU or EEA student, please contact us.

Get in touch