Do you want to be a pilot but have some specific questions? We have put together some FAQs to help address any questions you may have. We hope these give you the confidence to get started with your training, or perhaps prompt you to contact us about anything else.

Can I work along side my flight training?

The FTA modular courses offer flexibility whilst you study, allowing you to set the pace. This allows you to spread the financial expenditure over a period of time that suits you, fitting around work commitments. Many cadets choose to work part time in aviation to boost their CV and knowledge of the aviation industry. Read more about FTA’s modular courses.

Where do I live when I train with FTA?

FTA can assist you in finding student accommodation near the academy. There is a wide spread of accommodation options including host families, shared accommodation, bed and breakfasts and hotels – the FTA student welfare team can seek the right option for you and put you in touch. Many students on our begin by living with a host family, before moving in to shared accommodation with fellow FTA students once they have settled in. Please contact us if you’d like to find out more about accommodation options whilst studying at FTA.

Where is Brighton City Airport?

Our main campus is situated within Brighton City Airport, just outside Brighton, with superb road, rail and bus links to Brighton City, London and further afield. The airport has 3 runways and various additional facilities available onsite, including the student welfare office and a restaurant. Established in 1910, the airport is steeped in history and has a diverse client base to include: the military, law enforcement, air ambulance, corporate jets, helicopters, flight training schools, private charter companies and the coastguard.


A ‘Frozen’ Airline Transport Pilot Licence is the name given to the qualification of a pilot who holds a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL). 

The ATPL would become un-frozen when the flight experience requirements are met. The experience would be achieved during employment as a first officer.

What does 'MCC/JOC' mean?

MCC/JOC is a 'Multi Crew Cooperation/Jet Orientation Course course' which is completed after the advanced stages of flight training (phase four). Our training partners, Jet MASTERCLASS deliver the training on our behalf at their base outside Gatwick Airport. As specialists in assisting UK airlines with pilot recruitment, they offer an unrivalled MCC/JOC course that focuses on developing the highest standards of pilot competencies and behaviours. The standard MCC/JOC can also be upgraded to an APS (airline pilot standards) course on request.

Can I come and see the FTA campus before making a decision?

We strongly recommend you visit our campus at Brighton City Airport. In fact, we suggest you contact a number of flight schools before you make your final decision. Pilot training is a big commitment and it is essential to ensure you find the school that will offer the best calibre of instruction, aircraft availability and overall experience. Create a list of your top, most preferred flight schools and be sure to book a visit of each one. We offer weekly tours of the FTA campus every Thursday at 10 am. Please contact us to get booked in.

I’m from Europe – can I study at FTA?

FTA is able to accept students from across the EU, dependent on individual circumstances and documentation. If you are coming to study in the UK from overseas, it is important to follow the correct immigration procedures; having the right documentation will prevent any problems international students may have gaining entry to the UK, and will ensure FTA can do the required checks on entry requirements for our training courses. Please note that all overseas FTA students must have English language competence of Level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference Languages (CEFR) or Level 4 of the International Civil Aviation Organisation). Click here for more information for EU and EEA students.

Do I need particular subject GCSES?

As part of the Integrated Flight Deck Programme candidate entry requirements, students are required to have at least 5 GCSEs (or  equivalent). This must include Maths and English. Read up on our full entry requirements.

Do I need A Levels or a degree?

You are not required to have A Levels or a degree to study at FTA. However, any form of further education, including A Levels and a degree, are a bonus. Read up on our full entry requirements

Does my age matter?

To join any of our integrated or modular courses students must be 18 years of age. There is no maximum age limit. 

What does a medical involve and how do I get mine?

Medical examinations are conducted at London Gatwick. You can read more about what this involves, here: 'Your pilot medical and what to expect'. 

For additional information and bookings from the CAA, please visit:

I wear glasses – does this matter?

Many pilots wear glasses these days, and this does not usually cause problems. You would need to check that your eyesight is within medical limits prescribed by the CAA for class one certification. For more information, please visit:

Is there a pre-entry assessment?

While it is not a prerequisite for enrolment, we recommend that all applicants complete an assessment with an impartial body, such as the The Honourable Company of Air Pilots. For more information, please visit their website:

I ALREADY have my PPL and some hours – will I get a discount on the course?

If enrolling onto the integrated course with a PPL, you can claim up to 50% of your total hours up to a maximum of 40 hours (if no night rating held) or 45 hours (if a night rating is held). The actual number of hours credited is at the discretion of the head of training. For every hour granted, an amount of £220 would be credited to your training account*. If you already have your PPL and some hours and want to know exactly how much your course will cost, contact our admission team who will be able to advise as per your personal situation. 

Please note: all course fees are subject to review and for the most up to date prices, you should contact the admissions team.

What is the difference between integrated and modular training?

Our integrated course costs £77,950 and allows you to go from little or no flying experience to a “Frozen ATPL” in approximately 21-24 months. This programme is full-time and the entirety of the training completed at our base at Brighton City Airport, UK. 

At FTA we recognise that not everyone can complete their training full-time. Our modular courses enable students to complete training around their lifestyle or other commitments.

We have nine modular courses which range from £1,500 to £17,795. This is a popular route for students to gain their Frozen ATPL alongside work or studies. We also offer a special rate on the MEP, ME IR and ME CPL. This special, three course package costs just £26,195 and is available for those that can complete the training back to back, in the specified order. For more information about our MEP, ME IR and ME CPL package, click here. Modular pilot courses can also be taken as and when desired, (as long as course pre-requisites are met). 


How long does the modular route take?

From zero experience to holding a frozen ATPL, modular training would take around 2 years to complete. This of course depends on your pace and commitments in addition to your study. You can find out more about the modular route to Frozen ATPL on the our here.

What aircraft do you fly at FTA?

FTAs training fleet grows year on year. The current fleet is comprised of both single-engine piston (SEP) and multi-engine piston (MEP) aircraft – all maintained in accordance with exceeding stringent European EASA regulations. The Standard Integrated Flight Deck Programme uses exclusively Diamond DA40 and Diamond DA42 aircraft. On the Economy programme, students complete their first 3 flight phases in a Piper PA28, before continuing advanced phases in FTA’s fleet of Diamond aircraft. More details on our airport and fleet can be found online.

  • Diamond DA40: The Diamond Star DA40 is a four seat, single-engine Diamond Star DA40 ideal for training commercial pilots. It has 135 Horse power and features similar systems found in modern commercial airline jets.
  • Diamond DA42: The Diamond Twin Star DA42 is a four seat, twin-engine, propeller-driver aircraft, considered as one of the most advanced light aircraft in the world. Made of carbon-composite materials, the DA42 is a strong aircraft featuring controls found in commercial airliner flight decks, making it a perfect aircraft for trainee commercial pilots.
  • Piper PA28: The Piper PA28 is a four seat, single-engine aircraft with a robust aircraft and a proven track record when it comes to flight training.

Do I have to pay my fees all in one go?

You pay the balance of your Integrated Flight Deck training over 12 months (after an initial payment of £14,000). For more information about the payment of fees – visit the course fee section of our website.

To enrol on our ATPL Theory (full time ground school) you need to pay the full fee (upon submission of your admission pack). The cost of ground school is £6,495 (price includes first time CAA exam fees).

To enrol on a modular course (excluding ATPL Theory) you need to pay just £1,000 to secure your place, after which you pay your fees on a 'pay as you fly' basis. 

Are there any additional costs that aren’t included in the course prices?

  • Modular courses: Any additional training over the standard course syllabus would be charged at our standard rates. Test fees and aircraft hire for tests are also in addition to the course fees.

  • Integrated courses: Any additional training over the standard course syllabus would be charged at our standard rates. Whilst first attempts at ground and flight tests are included, additional costs for re-takes (including additional aircraft hire) would be charged in addition.

Does the course fee include accommodation costs?

FTA's courses do not include accommodation costs. However our Marketing and Student Services are on hand to offer all the accommodation support you need. We have a three-bedroom property available for students to rent in Teruel, and maintain an up-to-date list of landlords, agents and host families in the UK and Spain. We are able to help you find the right accommodation for you, whether it be a homestay, with a host family, B&B, shared or private accommodation. Please contact us if you would like more information.

Do you have connections with airlines to help me get a job after training?

We do not tend to have links with specific airlines, instead focusing on supporting our cadets to be best placed for a career within the industry. This is why former students fly for over 30 different airlines across the globe, ranging to private airline charter companies to global commercial airlines. You can read up on where some of FTA’s past cadets are now working in our Pilot Stories.

What does FTA's Integrated Flight Deck Programme include?

Upon successful completion of FTA's Integrated Flight Deck Programme you will have all the necessary skills and experience to apply for a role as a First Officer. Click here for full details.

If you have any further questions, please just get in touch!

Get in touch...