Qualify as a Flight Instructor and train others to realise their ambition to become commercial pilots. We offer a well-structured, professional training package with real career opportunities.
Flight Instructor Certificate, FI (A)
Overview: This course will enable you to become a qualified flight instructor, upon successful completion you will be awarded a UK FI (A) restricted certificate.
Over approximately 8-10 weeks (studying full-time) you will learn the following:
- Ground Training - 125 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction. This covers the following subjects:
- Air Law
- Aircraft General Knowledge
- Flight Performance and Planning
- Human Performance and Limitations
- Operational Procedures
- Principles of Flight and Communications
- Flight Training - at least 30 hours flying including flight instruction, 5 of which may be mutual flying, (2 student instructors flying together to practice flight demonstrations).
Entry Requirements:An applicant for an FI (A) certificate should have:
- (a) received at least 10 hours of instrument flight instruction on the appropriate aircraft category, of which not more than 5 hours may be instrument ground time in an FSTD
- (b) completed 20 hours of VFR cross-country flight on the appropriate aircraft category as PIC
- (c) at least a CPL (A)
- (d) completed at least 30 hours on single-engine piston powered airplanes of which at least 5 hours shall have been completed during the 6 months preceding the pre-entry flight test set out in FCL.930.FI (a)
- (e) completed a VFR cross-country flight as PIC, including a flight of at least 540 km (300 NM) in the course of which full stop landings at 2 different aerodromes shall be made
- (f) passed a specific pre-entry flight test with an FIC instructor within the 6 months preceding the start of the course, to assess their ability to undertake the course. This pre-entry flight test shall be based on the proficiency check for class and type ratings as set out in Appendix 9 to Part FCL
Upon successful completion of the training, a skill test will be taken with a Flight Instructor Examiner (FIE). This must be carried out within 6 months of the completion of the training and failure to do so will result in the need for extra training.
£11,950 (including VAT) including:
- Pre-assessment flight test
- Assessment of competence
- All flight and ground tuition as per the course syllabus
- Airport fees as per the course syllabus
The price does not include accommodation.
Our next available start date is the 20th September.
Career opportunities and bursaries
Upon successful completion of the course, newly qualified instructors will have the opportunity to be interviewed for a position at FTA Global. The Honorable Company of Air Pilots offer bursaries for instructors and more information can be found here: Flying Bursaries
FTA Global is also registered with the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) for Low Value Provision (LVP). The LVP is the provision of short vocational and occupational training to claimants who have a job offer or need training to be able to compete for vacancies in their local labour market.
Full information can obtained from your local Job Centre.